Monday, March 14, 2005

I'm at Software Development West this week. My brain always hurts by the end of the week (this is my eighth SD) but right now that pain is far off. First up is a half-day tutorial on Domain Driven Design presented by Eric Evans (author of the book by the same name that is sitting in my to-read pile). In some ways this has been a morning of "yup, knew that, of course, doesn't everybody", since the whole point of OO is that we can program in the terms of the problem rather than the terms of the technologies and languages being used to implement the solution. One big point that Eric makes, though, is that developers tend to dive down into implementation details as soon and as fast as possible, but that we need to stay up at that higher level domain view that the business experts understand. (Because everybody knows that business experts don't understand pointers and database tables and n-tier application stacks...or worse, they go off and learn all that stuff and then start delivering requirements docs as schemas and UML! )


To quickly summarize a four-hour session into something like four sentences:

  • Design should be in terms of business concepts.
  • A primary goal of domain driven design is to develop an ubiquitous language - a language that is used by every member of the team to talk about every aspect of the project. On one project that Eric worked on, they made a significant change to their model that caused their not-the-original release date to slip another three weeks. This change, however, brought about a language that became so ubiquitous that marketing used terms from the model to talk about their product!
  • A model is a system of abstractions that describes selected aspects of a domain and can be used to solve problems related to that domain.
  • A model serves a particular use. It does not have to be as realistic as possible. It does have to allow software to enter the domain. An example Eric gave of this is the well-known Mercator projection map of the world. This map is useless for comparing relative sizes of land masses, but if you want to navigate between land masses it's just the ticket.
  • A model is irrelevant if it isn't reflected in code.
  • Models that reflect their domain don't have classes that end in "or" or "er". For example, a design to handle monetary instruments would talk about assets and accrual schedules, not accrual calculators.

11:00 AM

30 comments:

at 7:00 AM David Ogden said...

Hi,

Some of these blogs are awesome, I have spent the whole day going from one to another collecting information if you are interested in ebook library then you you can find out more about ebook library

See you over there

at 9:05 PM David Ogden said...

Hi there, I thought you might be interest in this is you are interested infree ebook I have found a great site aboutfree ebook

Nioce looking blog by the way

at 5:33 PM Anonymous said...

Good Marketing information.

Advanced Business Marketing

More business marketing information you can use.

at 2:46 PM Anonymous said...

**ebook**

at 8:27 PM Anonymous said...

Sometimes, these gambles pay off, but there are occasions when they fail miserably,

at 7:38 AM Anonymous said...

Where do you get your info The Braidy Tester? I've been casting around the jennifer aniston sedu hair straightener blogs and sites for ages, and most of the comment is drivel. Take a bow - yours rocks!

at 7:30 AM Anonymous said...

Hi there The Braidy Tester, I was just browsing, looking for hair loss solutions related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a hair loss solutions site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

at 9:29 AM Anonymous said...

m

at 1:01 PM Anonymous said...

photo shop software

at 5:42 PM Anonymous said...

Hi The Braidy Tester, very unique blog you have! I was looking for laser hair removal related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a laser hair removal site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please visit it.

at 3:11 PM Anonymous said...

The diversity of ideas expressed on this site appears to reflect the spectrum we observe across the folica hair style competition market place. All good points, The Braidy Tester.

at 7:51 AM Anonymous said...

Hi there The Braidy Tester, I was just browsing, looking for permanent hair removal related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a permanent hair removal site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

at 3:48 PM Anonymous said...

##deadeasy##

at 6:33 AM Anonymous said...

sy-ebook-software.htm

at 5:20 AM Anonymous said...

Nice blog The Braidy Tester. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for sedu hairstyles related information and found your site. I have a sedu hairstyles site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.

at 11:49 AM Anonymous said...

Es ist nett, eine andere Quelle der laser hair removal machine for sale Informationen zu haben.Aloha, Elina laser hair removal machine for sale

at 4:25 PM Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm just a retiree from Kansas surfing around the net and looking for
interesting blogs. Came across your blog and thought I 'd say hi. Blog on!

Regards,
Mark


laser hair removal texas

at 1:01 AM Anonymous said...

Aloha, I'm just a retiree from Hawaii surfing around the net and looking for
interesting blogs. Came across your blog and thought I 'd say hello.
Keep up the good work. Mahala.

Regards,
Ponti


laser hair removal ct

at 2:26 PM Anonymous said...

sy-ebook-software.htm

at 10:21 AM Anonymous said...

Nice blog The Braidy Tester. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for laser hair removal related information and found your site. I have a laser hair removal site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

at 3:36 PM Anonymous said...

sy-ebook-software.htm

at 1:52 PM Anonymous said...

##deadeasy##

at 2:42 PM Anonymous said...

ASDF is coming soon! Don't be left behind!

at 8:26 PM Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my unique truck accessories dog box site.
Good luck!

at 11:44 PM Anonymous said...

Hi my friends! I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything, Including home loans- plus... help lower your taxes--best of all--it requires absolutely no investment. I thought you might be interested and like to check it out...

Here I have a internet selling opportunities site/blog. It successfully covers internet selling opportunities related stuff and almost everything else!

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott.

at 9:01 PM Anonymous said...

Hi The Braidy Tester, I found Online Betting using http://www.findlaunch.com, You should try it too since you like Stuffing My Brain, Part 01 too!

at 1:27 PM Anonymous said...

The Braidy Tester,

I took a look at your post
regarding business home mlm .

You are invited to place a link to
your blog on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many are looking for business home mlm
related products and services.

We have a specific category for business home mlm .
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under business home mlm . Our pages
are made to be search engine friendly.
We hope you take a moment to take
advantage of this free advertising.

Cheers,

John

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

at 7:17 AM Anonymous said...

Nice blog!! I'm into web site traffic generation and to drive traffic to my website I signed up free for this superb traffic gereating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites and blogs. This can see your affiliate commission shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for you and your family. Sign up now - it's free.. Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.

at 7:14 AM Anonymous said...

I have a psp ebook blog promoting digital products. It pretty much covers psp ebook related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

at 4:46 AM Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a domain appraisal
site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)