Monday, March 14, 2005

This afternoon was a half-day tutorial on exploratory testing. Elisabeth Hendrickson gave an engaging talk - complete with in-class exploratory testing - that presented four techniques for doing successful exploratory testing:

  • variables (anything whose value can be changed, e.g., window size), values (a value given to a variable), and heuristics (rules of thumb that lead you to good tests for particular types of values, e.g., "It you can count it, try zero, one, and many" or "If it has an order, try first, middle, last"): List everything you can change and then use hueristics to develop sets of values to try for each variable.
  • state models: As you identify possible states think about how the actions you can and can't take change and how the results of those actions change. As you identify events that transfer you between states, think about various triggers for each of those events. Now use that state model to apply every controllable event to every state (regardless of whether it seems interesting) and force exits from every state.
  • nouns and verbs: Describe feature interactions as nouns (what kinds of things can you create or manage) and verbs (what can different types of users do); use adjectives and adverbs to further describe the nouns and verbs (i.e., the values you could give the variables you identified). Often the grammar you develop will be rich enough to enable you to write stories about your software - stories that you can easily translate to test cases. Writing these stories is simple: randomly pick a series of nouns and verbs and then turn these words into a short action sequence. (Yes, this sounds a whole lot like model-based testing - one more way to develop those models.)
  • personae and soap operas: Identify several types of users with distinct needs and personalities. Inhabit each persona and use your app the way that person would - i.e., find the same bugs they will. A very helpful technique for doing this is to write soap opera scripts about your user and their travails and triumphs with your software.

Throughout Elisabeth made sure we understood very well that exploratory testing is *not* just pounding on the keyboard but rather is a means of discovering new information (aka surprises - which are not necessary bugs, just something you didn't realize about your product) about the software under test by methodically exploring its capabilities and limitations.

Lectures are all well and good, and some people can actually learn that way, but I need to apply what I hear to actually internalize it. Elisabeth handed out a bunch of Pixter toys - a roughly PDA-sized electronic (black and white) coloring book. Once we figured out how to turn the speaker off these turned out to be surprisingly (ha!) capable little buggers that served as excellent foils for applying the techniques we were learning.

Perhaps the most important piece of information was that exploratory testing is best done in packs. Each group found that the other groups had identified variables they hadn't. The same holds true for your app: one person doing exploratory testing is good, two people doing exploratory testing is better, the whole Dev+Test+Everybody Else team doing exploratory testing is better yet, and the whole team doing exploratory testing in pairs is best. Case in point: one team found a diagnostic mode -- something no one else in the other twenty-some classes Elisabeth has used Pixter in had ever done!

4:39 PM

25 comments:

at 5:21 PM Anonymous said...

Good Posts, Keep on Blogging.
Be sure to visit

Advanced Business Marketing

Expensive Marketing Secrets Free.

at 8:28 PM Anonymous said...

Hey, I like what I read here. I will be back for sure!
I have a ebook with resale right site. It pretty much covers ebook with resale right related stuff.
check it out if you get time :-)

at 9:23 PM Anonymous said...

Greetings The Braidy Tester !!
I just wanted to thank - you for leaving your comments turned on for your post called Stuffing My Brain, Part 02. I'm always searching and keeping an eye out for more blogs and sites about christian content free .
Pardon my bad typing! LOL - (:--).

Say, I'm curious if you've ever seen a christian content free ? Do you sell them too?

So far I've sold a few - it's been interesting to say the least. Lot's of hard work. Errggg. Mostly been marketing them through my site called: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com .

Ooops, this post is a bit more than planned,
Well,
Keep your (:--) UP anyhow and God Bless ya!
Chad.

at 2:18 AM Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. In fact, I've bookmarked yours!
Visit my resell traffic site.

at 2:15 AM Anonymous said...

Think that will drive you some extra traffic?

at 9:31 AM Anonymous said...

sorry...

at 1:24 AM Anonymous said...

sy-ebook-software.htm

at 11:47 AM Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, I am just passing through researching arts and crafts ebooks and spotted your post called Stuffing My Brain, Part 02. I found it and interesting and informative read and I just though I'd say so. Catch you again another time go to go looking for arts and crafts ebooks as well. Enjoy blogging - John

at 12:38 PM Anonymous said...

Hi there The Braidy Tester, I have been looking at arts and crafts ebooks for some time now and found your post titled Stuffing My Brain, Part 02 very useful. I've now got to find something on arts and crafts ebooks so I'll pop back and check out more of your site another time. Great site by the way. - John

at 3:35 PM Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, I find it very refreshing to occasionally find a post such as yours with a similar topic to what I was looking for. It often ads to ones list of lifes experiences.

I tend to have a soft spot for blogs related to ##LINK## and /or sites that have a central theme around writing resources type items.

Once again, thank you, hope you don't mind if I visit again sometime :-)

at 5:39 AM Anonymous said...

On top of old Smokey ... When do you think this folica hair style competition baby will really blow? It's got the makings now, but as The Braidy Tester says, there is just so much more to it.

at 7:01 AM Anonymous said...

##frisky-pixie.com/deadeasy-ebook-software.htm##

at 6:15 AM Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog you've got here The Braidy Tester, I was looking for sedu hairstyles related information and found your site. I have a sedu hairstyles site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Stop by and check it out when you can.

at 1:14 PM Anonymous said...

Hi The Braidy Tester. I was looking for female hair loss related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a female hair loss site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Check it out when you can :)
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

at 3:20 PM Anonymous said...

m

at 4:55 PM Anonymous said...

m

at 2:04 AM Anonymous said...

Open the door to the world. that's the magic of the Internet. Your blog is very nice and I am happy to post here. Searching for lots of stuff today. Bug spray, tents, copy dvd free software, spy glasses. It's just fun to see what comes up.

at 4:41 AM Anonymous said...

Hi The Braidy Tester,

As a result of reading your blog "Stuffing My Brain, Part 02", I think you will discover my site on hair straightener a great help.

at 12:42 AM Anonymous said...

Searching blogs for traffic hits.
Came here. Interesting blog.
http://www.1st-choice-4-website-traffic.com
traffic hits

at 1:45 AM Anonymous said...

One of a kind! Thanks.
Came across your blog by chance while searching for online traffic.
http://www.1st-choice-4-website-traffic.com
online traffic

at 4:30 PM Anonymous said...

Hi blogger:)

I really like your web blog... There are billions of blogs however yours is the one I read and enjoy doing it too at the same time...

Regards,
make extra money

at 11:38 AM Anonymous said...

Hey The Braidy Tester,

Your blog "Stuffing My Brain, Part 02", leads me to believe you will find my information on ceramic sedu hair straightener to be very beneficial.

at 11:54 AM Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my tops pet products company site.
Have a great day!

at 3:49 AM Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my tiny dog supplies site.
Good luck!

at 6:42 AM Anonymous said...

Nice blog!! I'm into high traffic web site and to drive traffic to my website I signed up free for this superb traffic gereating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites and blogs. This can see your affiliate commission shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for you and your family. Sign up now - it's free.. Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.